Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Killed by a mob of Eclipses

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Went to a semi-regional level autocross yesterday. The SM class consisted of me, a fox body mustang on like 335mm tires, a newbie in a Grand Am, and 5, count 'em, 5 Eclipse GSX turbos. Everyone on R tires.

    I managed 4th place, missing a trophy by .7 seconds. 1st place was almost 2 seconds ahead of me. 1st, 2nd, 3rd... all Eclipses.

    Kill me now! At least all the drivers were VERY cool. At least I beat 2 of the Mitsu's...

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner 96IntegraRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    657
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Holden;

    Were you out horsepowered or out driven??? Any AWD?

    Chuck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All the Eclipses were:

    - Turbo
    - AWD
    - R compound tires
    - Blowoff valves
    - Suspension work

    Three of the drivers were good.

    One Eclipse was boosting more on a built engine for probably 300hp. He said it ran 13.0 in that trim. 16psi. He goes to 26psi on 1/4 mile tracks for low 12's.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    R tires make all the difference.....i wouldnt consider yourself "beaten" untill you get an "apples to apples" comparison.

    Keep in mind, R tires account for around 2-3 seconds on a 60second course. [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

    Fuk-a-DSM,
    Tony

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had R tires too. I finally got some.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Holden:
    I had R tires too. I finally got some.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    You need some good high rate springs and some Koni's! See below:

    fd8ae7ed

    ALL JOOOO!! [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Too bad some lazy pimps in Tenessee don't ship!

    Seriously though, I'm not putting stiffer springs in. It's rough enough on the street as it is. Don't forget I live in Pothole Central.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Holden:
    It's rough enough on the street as it is. Don't forget I live in Pothole Central.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Dude, im in Tenn.!! We get scared if the road gets TOO SMOOTH! [img]eek.gif[/img] You need the HIGH rate spring so you dont bottom out! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kumho Victoracers, 205-50-15 on stock 96 GSR wheels. Bought them used off an ITB racer who used them for one race.

    They feel good. Better than Azenis. I'm still shocked at the level of grip when I get a ride in a nationally competitive MR2. I certainly don't have that kind of grip.

    I spun once and didn't destroy the tires as feared. I guess since they were properly heat cycled, they're a bit tougher than new.

    Hangin' in SM is fun, but my car is not competitive. If someone shows up with an AWD turbo car (eclipse, wrx, s4) and can drive as good or better than me, I'm toast unless they make mistakes. (I'm a very clean driver and usually get a decent clean time on my first run, leaving me free to get aggressive the rest of the day).

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 11psiGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Everyone.

    Holden... I'd have to agree with you on the handling of the DSM AWD cars. I recently bought a 91 Talon TSi AWD as my daily driver/new toy. Even though the car is bone stock with 107k miles, it handles like a freakin go cart. I can only imagine what a little suspension tuning can do for these cars.

    Although, there is also nothing like the bottom end grunt of a Supercharged GSR either. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •